Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Ethan's Prompt 4

Dear Ethan,
This is your tongue. Thank you for the airtime. I have yet to feel under appreciated by you and that is something rare in my world. I have seen the sun for 734 consecutive days and not once did I force you to make that happen. You have kept me safe when the war outside was not worth my liquid.
But I would be amiss not to tell you I do not appreciate you holding my hand when we cross the street. I was born far before you and do not need a chaperon in shallow waters. Your moth is no YMCA. This is a mine field of subjects filled with Ts and Ds that should not be soft spoken. Do not fear what you do not say. It can only hurt me. Your molars are sharper than your silence and know more about inflicting pain than your fists.
Do not fear me touching someone other than you. There is something learned in that moment. I need interaction too. Do not hold me back. You protect your heart far more than you even think about me and that is a mistake. I am the strongest muscle in your body and believe me, your heart is crystal stemware begging for the shatter. I am whole. I am pure. You will never break me despite the disclaimer. I spend my days in isolation and spend my time out growing this life sentence.
Just keep in mind, I think about her just as much as you do. I am not as introverted as my life story would claim. I am lonelier than your arms because they get to hug her. Your eyes get to see her. I only get to dream how she would feel. Let me cross the street already. I promise, I don't bite.

Sincerely Yours,
The Tongue

P.S. Don't bother writing back. I already know what you are thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment