Monday, August 16, 2010

Exercise #2

1. Make a list of objects from your past. Make them concise and specific. (Exp: a broken vase, a new Pontiac Vibe, a T-Shirt floating in a pool). List about 5 of them.

2. Your poem will have 5 stanzas of three lines each. The first line of your stanza will start: "I come from ___________" with one of the subjects in the blank. The next two lines of the stanza are free reign for you to follow up the original statement.

Example:

I come from a broken vase
the creases in my hands sharp and reflective
my ribs stretching across, wishing they could harness a bouquet

...and repeat 4 more times. Go!

1 comment:

  1. I come from tennis shoes with holes in the soles
    Cold showers in July
    Goosebumps that echo down my spine.
    I come from fluttering street lights
    A Daddy in and out
    Like the blackouts in New York.
    I come from Barbie’s without arms
    No embracement’s of affection
    Only big girls don’t cry.
    I come from broken chalk on the sidewalk
    Shambles off of rooftops
    Leakages of our issues dripping into stove pans.
    I come from bent rims on a bike
    Where we proceed on our own codes, our own morals
    Against the laws of their founders.

    ~Reina Janelle

    ReplyDelete